The following information will provide you answers to frequently asked questions.


1. What is IIBIT's relationship with the Federation University Australia?

IIBIT is a partner institution of the Federation University Australia (formerly known as University of Ballarat). IIBIT's affiliation with the Federation University Australia enables its students to obtain a degree while studying in Sydney and Adelaide locations.


2. Are the academic programs at IIBIT recognized by other Australian universities?

Yes. IIBIT in collaboration with the Federation University Australia will enable students to obtain qualifications that are up to Australian academic and professional standards.


3. Where is IIBIT?

IIBIT is located in the heart of Sydney's Central Business District. Our campus is easily accessible by public transport and close to many of the city's major attractions.


4. What are classes at IIBIT like?

Class sizes are small in order to facilitate lessons that are efficient and productive. Our classrooms are spacious and equipped with the latest in audio-visual learning equipment.


5. What facilities are there?

IIBIT offers their students modern facilities and highly experienced and qualified staff. Computer labs are equipped with Internet connection and high speed computers for research use. The college also features a student lounge and an open access library.


6. What sorts of assessments are used in IIBIT's academic programs?

The progress of students will be assessed by a variety of assessment tasks such as examinations, written assignments as well as seminar presentations.


7. How do I apply?

Prospective students should complete the Application Form, attach the required documents and return the form to IIBIT's International Admissions Office in room 101, Level Ground, 841 George Street, Sydney. The application form can be downloaded from [here].


8. What are the entry requirements?

Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of the proposed commencement of their University studies.

Entry to Certificate level courses requires the equivalent of 11 years schooling and entry to Diploma level courses requires the completion of 12 years schooling or HSC equivalent.


9. What standard of English is required?

Applicants to undergraduate or postgraduate level programs who come from a country where the first language is not English must have Academic IELTS overall score of 6.0, with no band less than 6.0; TOEFL iBT overall score of 79-80 with minimum of 19 in all sections; Pearson score of 50 with no band less than 42, the test no more than 2 years prior to the commencement of the program.

Only original test certificates will be accepted by IIBIT.


10. Does IIBIT provide language courses?

IIBIT's English Academy offers several English programs that specifically cater to the international student who wishes to pursue further studies.

Students wishing to apply to study at IIBIT's Academy of English require a minimum IELTS score of 5.0 for the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and 5.0 or equivalent for the IELTS Preparation course. There are no specific entry requirements for application to the General English course.

For more information regarding the English courses at IIBIT please contact us during office hours.


11. Can I get exemptions or advanced standings from other studies?

Students wishing to find out more information about credit exemptions and advanced standings should contact the International Admissions Office.


12. Can I study part-time?

International students are required by visa regulations to enrol as full-time students.


13. What are the semester dates?

Please contact the office or visit here.


14. How much does it cost?

Please contact the office or visit here.


15. How do I pay my fees?

Please contact the office or visit our website for current fee details.


16. How long will it take for my application to be processed?

Please contact the International Admissions Office or visit our website for application procedures.


17. How do I apply for a student visa?

Successful applicants will receive a letter of offer detailing course dates and fees and other relevant information. The total of one semester's tuition fees must be paid before an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) is issued. The student is then eligible to apply for a student visa.


18. Do I need medical insurance?

It is required by the Australian government that all international students along with their families purchase health insurance. This is available through the Australian Government health insurance provider BUPA.


19. How do I find accommodation?

IIBIT can arrange for home stay or provide advice and assistance concerning other accommodation options. If students encounter any problems with their current home stay arrangements they should consult Student Services Department at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .


20. What student concessions am I eligible for?

International students conditionally receive travel concessions on Sydney's trains, buses or ferries. Students however are entitled to most other student concessions and discounts (theatres and other entertainment events).


21. Can I work while I'm in Australia?

International students are allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight except during vacations they are eligible for full time employment. All student visas granted on of after 26 April 2008 will receive permission to work automatically.


22. What are the costs of living in Sydney?

It costs a single student approximately AUD$18,000 to cover living expenses. This is inclusive of food and lodging, transport and other necessities.

Please see: for more info.


23. Do I need an Australian or an international driving license?

As an international student you are allowed to drive in New South Wales. Students must have their driver's license from their country, their passport and visa as well as a letter from the relevant licensing authorities in your country confirming your license details.


24. What should I do if I change my address or am going on vacation?

Students must immediately inform the office should their contact address change. It is imperative that the institute be able to contact students or their relatives in case of an emergency.


25. Where can I go if I need help?

Lecturers are available to assist students should they encounter any difficulties. If the student's own lecturer is unavailable students are free to approach the principal who will organize for assistance. Students with personal or legal problems should see Student Services Department, who will be able to assist or refer the student to the appropriate agency.